Wednesday, December 07, 2016

Obamacare Conflict: Losing The Personal Touch

I've been fielding a lot of questions from individuals looking for health insurance lately. They wonder why I tell them up front that it's unlikely I will have time to personally meet with them on their needs - especially considering many of them are losing their plans. So, in an effort to explain my situation here is what I'm sharing. 

Hi Jane, 

I'm sorry our affiliate isn't able to suit your needs. Unfortunately the ACA forces everyone to renew their plan January 1st which makes a personal touch almost impossible to achieve. Also unfortunate is most of my professional colleagues that have true knowledge and understanding of the industry aren't willing to work in this market. This is because they are astute business people and know that most of the insurers participating don't value our personal touch. We know this because many of them have completely eliminated our compensation and others have dramatically reduced our compensation. I hope you understand that we simply can't work for free.

If you are looking for a personal touch I can tell you that you do have options available. 

The first are Navigators. Navigators are unlicensed people that have been hired by non-profits who received government funded grants to help you through the process. Unfortunately these folks aren't able to advise you on specific plan choices or make any recommendations. Of course why would you take their advice since they are not licensed to sell insurance and haven't had any formal training. Not to mention, they are unable to service your account throughout the year.

The second option is to head on over to your local WalMart. You will need to find the person standing up by the checkout lines behind a table with a "health care" banner next to it looking bored out of their mind. This person is licensed to sell health insurance and can walk you through the process. I'm sure they will have time to meet with you.

If you would still be interested in a phone consultation and my recommendations please let me know. I'd be happy to assist you - if I can.
blog comments powered by Disqus