Friday, August 01, 2008

Compassion AND a Bargain

My mother passed away this spring, after a two year battle with Alzheimer's. Her final week was spent in Hospice, a place teeming with angels. As I mentioned before, Hospice caregivers exude compassion and patience, and the folks at ours helped to make one of the most stressful and depressing times in my life manageable.
We were told when we "checked in" that there was no charge for their services, but that was, frankly, far down my list of concerns. After all, Mom had been in the hospital for the previous two weeks, and I had a pretty good idea what those charges were going to be. Still, I heard them say that Medicare would pick up the tab, and mentally filed that information away.
Yesterday's mail brought the EOB (Explanation of Benefits) for Mom's all-too-brief sojourn at Hospice, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that there were, indeed, no charges for this outstanding service:
I also noticed that the charges themselves were quite reasonable, and that (unlike all the other medically-related services) Medicare didn't "re-price" this particular claim. One supposes that there's no "negotiated rate" involved; regardless, the charges amount to less than $800 a day.
I call that a bargain.
blog comments powered by Disqus