Sunday, April 20, 2008

Regarding Angels

I've never given a great deal of thought to angels. It's not a religious thing; it's just that the subject wasn't really on my radar.

Until recently.

These past few weeks have been the most difficult of my life. As one can imagine, blogging (while an important and rewarding part of my life) has not been a priority to me the past several weeks. So I was touched and honored to read, when I did manage to get some "online time," Bob's updates and final tribute. He is indeed a friend, and a mensch.


Oh, that's right, angels; I have recognized quite a few over the past few weeks. Some are unlikely (gruff bearded ones here in Dayton, krusty bearded ones further south). Others were more obvious: the incredibly sensitive and compassionate folks at Hospice of Dayton, about whom I can never say enough good things. Some were physicians: my mother's long-time internist, who loved my mom almost as much as we did; the doctors and nurses at Kettering Medical Center, with whom I shared a rocky start, but grew to trust and appreciate.

Some I've know all my life: friends of my parents for over 50 years. When Uncle Milt and Aunt Honeylou enter the room, it's as if the sun has literally just burst forth. I don't think I've ever known anyone with such a love for life.

My mother's beloved sister, who begged her own mother for a baby sister (and finally got her way), is another one. Even when Mom was in Hospice (maybe especially then), she called every day, asking me to hold the phone to mom's ear so she could tell her baby sister how much she was loved.

My second father is an angel, too: although he's not in perfect health, he would not leave her side in those final days and hours. Sharing her final moments with him was a sacred thing.

My wife is, perhaps, the most likely angel. I always used to tease her that she was Mom's favorite, and there was more than a hint of truth in that. Even though she, too, was hurting and grieving, she was my rock and my anchor, and made absolutely sure that Mom was comfortable and knew that she was surrounded with love.

I suspect some folks are wondering why I'm sharing all of this in such a public forum. It is, after all, personal and painful and seems to have nothing to do with the issues we generally address here. But I was touched by some virtual angels, too: emails of love and support, the comments many have left in Bob's recent posts, all show just how many angels there are among us, even if we can't see them. I am so deeply grateful for all the love, sympathy and support from my "cyber family."

Just knowing that there are so many angels in my life is a perfect blessing.

Chag Pesach Sameach!
blog comments powered by Disqus