Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Future is Now

As my better half is fond of telling me, "there are no coincidences." Her point is that everything, no matter how seemingly insignificant, happens for a reason, a purpose.

I just experienced a "no coincidence" moment.

As is my wont, I had clicked over to read the latest at PowerLine, perhaps the most thoughtfully written political blog extant. A contributor had this to say:

"[T]he care-seeking population is about to become the Baby Boomers -- i.e., the most indulged, demanding and complaining generation in a hundred years, or maybe ever. The Dems are (apparently) fixing to take over medicine at exactly the time The Giant Complaining Horde shows up at the door ... people with money will still come out ahead ... knowing I had a potential problem, I paid $4,000 out of my own pocket for an exotic annual physical exam beyond what insurance would reimburse."

This is a critical point because, as my better half has also observed, "this [ObamaCare] isn't about health care at all, it's about control" [ed: yes, I often question whether the wrong one of us actually blogs]. That is, even if it passes, it won't address the underlying problems of health care and, indeed, will most likely exacerbate them by formalizing a two- (or even three-) tiered health care system. Currently, insurers can merely deny payment for a particular med or procedure; under a gummint-run system, the bureaucracy can actually withhold treatment. And then what?

Well, then one goes outside the system to one of the practices that has chosen not to participate. Think that's far-fetched? Well, here's the other part of the coincidence. After reading the latest from the Minnesota Boys, I clicked over to another favorite site, Jewish World Review, where I found this little tidbit from Dr Peter Gott:

"[A reader writes:] My present doctor charges $3,500 a year to see me four or five times to ask how I am feeling, which is a little much. He has been my physician for the past 15 years ... He doesn't take Medicare ... What's a gal to do?"

To which the good doctor replies:

"Sadly, this is the wave of the future. Five years ago, an article appeared in The New York Times regarding such services ... The woman was tired of sitting in the waiting room for extended periods and found the idea appealing."

As would anyone who actually wanted, and needed, health care. Of course, this still leaves the problem of catastrophic claims, but I have no doubt that we'd see a spate of new cat-only plans (a natural evolution, really, of high deductible plans) to handle those. And so those who choose to essentially opt out of ObamaCare (mandates or no) will still have access to care.

And we haven't even started talking about the coming boom in Medical Tourism.
blog comments powered by Disqus