Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Treat-worthy Carrier Tricks

Over the years, we've chronicled numerous examples of carriers' less-than-stellar performances. Sometimes, though, they do the right thing, and we try to document those times, as well.
This is one such time.
Recently, we reported on Anthem's apparently lackadaisical approach to changing policy effective dates. In this particular instance, my client learned that she could retroactively cancel her previous coverage back to January 1, and receive a full refund from the prior carrier. But we'd already nagged Anthem to move the effective date forward, to February 1.
Could we get them to rescind this change, and regain the original (January 1) effective date? I set out to try.
The bad news is that it took two days, several hours on the phone, and numerous blind alleys to get to the person empowered to make the change. I eventually got to the right department, but was told in no uncertain terms that the company will allow only one such change per policy. The lady with whom I was speaking made it clear that she was not empowered to make an exception.
So, of course, I asked to speak to the person who was so empowered.
The good news is that I did connect with that person, a supervisor (of course!), who listened politely to my plea and rationale, asked a few questions, and agreed to make the non-change. I'm sure it helped that I had also asked my client whether they'd had any claims since January 1 (which they hadn't), and if they understood that they'd still have to pay Anthem's January premium (which they did).
So, kudos to Anthem for making things right, and for being flexible enough to understand why they should.
blog comments powered by Disqus