Thursday, December 04, 2008

The Biggest Problem?

OK, this is touch and go.

No matter how I put this, I run the risk of sounding like the "white guy".

But when I read an excerpt of from an Ebony interview with Mr. Obama, it gave me pause.

This line in particular struck me as pandering.

"the biggest problem in the African American community is that they don’t have health insurance."

He can't be serious.

The BIGGEST problem?

Granted, he tempers his comment by saying the lack of health insurance crosses racial lines, but I found the comment to be over the top.

Bill Cosby got a lot of heat for giving his views on problems in the black community. He called on parents, and fathers in particular, to take personal responsibility for lifestyle issues that suppress opportunities for blacks.

I don't recall the lack of health insurance being mentioned anywhere in his comments.

if we put together a plan to deal with health care as a whole, then everybody benefits. African Americans may benefit even more because they’re more likely not to have health insurance

Guess I am missing the point. Why should government be expected to assume a role of personal responsibility?

I really have a problem with creating (or expanding) a nanny state. This has nothing to do with race. It has everything to do with acting like an adult and taking ownership of personal decisions and actions.
blog comments powered by Disqus