Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Flex Plan Dilemna

Bob recently had an interesting email "discussion" with a colleague, and since I was tangentially involved, he's asked me to tell our readers about it (Bob's "out of pocket" today).
The other day, I received this email from him:
"Having a disagreement with another agent over health insurance under a flex plan. Figured your buddy Pete would know. Can an employee who is covering dependents opt out of a plan off anniversary by claiming hardship? Premiums are too much, and wants to change to an individual plan. My understanding is they cannot. Even if they did, I am under the impression they cannot change their contribution (assuming they are pre-taxing premiums or benefits) until the anniversary. Do you know the answer?"
[ed: "Pete" is our colleague Pete Deist, about whom we've written before]
I replied that "on the one hand, it doesn't seem "right" to force someone to buy insurance (hello Massachusetts?!); OTOH, rules is rules, and I've never heard of "hardship" as a qualifying event (or would that be non-qualifying event?).
Probably some arcane Section 125 rule about this.
Really two questions though: plan rules and IRS rules.
I'm going to feel REALLY silly when Pete says "oh, that's an easy one, it's..."
In the event, I forwarded Bob's request on to Pete, and here's his reply:
"Your buddy [Bob] is correct.
The legal: Hardship is not a qualifying event permitting a change in a premium election mid-year. He can drop the insurance but cannot stop the withholding until the end of the year. The practical: I don't know of many groups that enforce this rule as it relates to premium"
One wonders, though, how often this comes up. Perhaps more often than we think.
blog comments powered by Disqus