Monday, August 06, 2007

Drive a Little, Save a Lot

[Welcome, Industry Radar readers!]

You hear this in car commercials all the time.

Well, at least I do.

Since I usually mute commercials, especially those with Sumo wrestlers slashing prices while someone is screaming at you to "Come on down! We trade for anything you can drive, roll, chase or drag on to our lot", it's amazing I hear any commercial.

But when it comes to meds, you might consider driving to a different place to fill your Rx.

Normally, physicians just prescribe. But Dr. Wolf did something more.

"I checked with Costco and Walgreens and the price difference was so astounding that I thought to myself this can't be true" he said, sitting in his office.

The physician started sleuthing, calling Walgreens, Eckerd Drugs, CVS, Sam's Club and Costco... asking each pharmacy its price for several popular generic drugs. What did he find when he asked about anti-depressants, anti-hypertensives, antibiotics?

"I was amazed." He says. "I just could not believe this."

Walgreens, Eckerd and CVS charged the most every time. Sam's Club was dramatically less and Costco was the cheapest of all.


Now look at this chart from suburban Detroit pharmacies.

You don't have to be poor to shop around.

Just wise.

Here are a few places to check Rx pricing online.

PillBid

PillBot

Rx Site Comparison

And if you want to go international,

Cross Border Pharmacy

IsraMeds

To your health!
blog comments powered by Disqus