Friday, September 15, 2017

LifeLock: Color me underwhelmed

So, the Equifax risk-checking tool confirmed that I was likely part of that elite group of 143 million Americans whose info was hacked. I'd been looking for an excuse to pull the trigger on LifeLock, so popped over (using the special IB link that generates an automagic 10% discount).

There was a welcome ("splash") screen, and at the top of the page I clicked "Enroll Now" (I already knew which plan I wanted). The process was pretty straightforward: you put in your name and address and so on, then the info for dependents (if any). One of the key requirements is an active email address, which I happily provided.

At the end, it asked about which credit card I wanted to use, warning me that it would be charged immediately.

Okay, whatever, let's get this thing done.

I finished up, hit "Complete" and ... that was the last I've ever heard from them.

No confirmation email. No notification that our application was being processed. No Welcome to LifeLock. Nada. Zip. Zilch.

I had just agreed to spend several hundred dollars with them, and they couldn't even be bothered to say "okay, got your info, stand by."

The only way I knew we'd been approved (and thus effective) was checking into the site every few hours. A full day later I saw that the plan would become effective October 1 (which, by the by, would have been nice if that'd been more conspicuously disclosed upfront).

By way of contrast, I recently ordered a $3.67 item from Walmart. I immediately received a confirmation email, then a follow-up when it shipped, and then notification when it arrived.

That's how it's done.

I realize that - so far - LifeLock has no credible competitors, but eventually they will, and I will bail on them in a heartbeat.

By the way, this doesn't exactly engender a great deal of confidence about how I'm going to be treated now that they have my money.


ADDENDUM: So, a very nice lady from LifeLock (finally) returned my call, asking how she could be of assistance. I thanked her, and then explained that that ship had sailed, and expressed (as nicely as I could) why and where they had failed.

She tried to explain the lack of communication, and I immediately shut her down: there is no excuse for such deplorable customer "service."

Here's a clue: If you have to explain why your customer service experience is so poor, #You'reDoingItWrong.
blog comments powered by Disqus