Thursday, June 01, 2006

Stupid, Stupid, Stupid

I rarely read the sports page of our local paper. So when a client called me yesterday to ask if I’d seen the sports section, I told her no, and asked her why.
Her answer surprised me:
The Department of Insurance published the names of those agents who have “failed to meet the [State’s] continuing education requirements.” And there followed a list of all the agents, complete with addresses and dates of birth.
Can anyone say “Identity Theft?”
Now, I hold no brief for those who blow off CE, but this is beyond the pale. Should an agent lose his license for failing to keep up with a pretty easy requirement? Sure. Should he be fined? Probably. Should his finances be potentially at risk? Absolutely not.
Since our local paper listed, well, local agents, I presume that the Enquirer, the Dispatch, the Plain Dealer and the Blade all contained comparable listings. This is unconscionable.
So, what to do?
As a member of the PIA (Professional Insurance Agents – a professional association for independent agents), I called to report this problem. They were as appalled as I am, and are looking into it. Pat, the young lady with whom I spoke, indicated that names and addresses are pretty much a matter of public record. But dates of birth certainly are not, so she’ll be talking with the DOI.
Sheesh!
RELATED: Bob posted about Medical Identity Theft a few weeks ago, and Dr Rob Lamberts has info on federal legislation in this area.
blog comments powered by Disqus