Friday, March 18, 2005

A Dilemna Resolved…

For some time, I’ve been trying to determine whether or not to post on the Terri Schiavo case. For those who may not be aware, Terri is a woman who has been in a (for lack of a better term) vegetative state for many years, on a feeding tube but not life support. Her husband, citing her wish not to be kept alive by articial means, has sought to have the feeding tube removed. Her parents have sought to prevent this.
There is a great deal of controversy in this case. At first blush, this appears to be a “right-to-die” versus “pro-life” debate, and I have endeavored to keep overtly political issues from this blog. Due to various lawsuits, the cost of the care is apparently not an issue, and there don’t seem to be any obvious connections to insurance.
So why am I posting about it?
If you’ll recall, I mentioned previously that I keep a little sticker close at hand. It says: May the action that I am about to undertake be worthy of You.” Generally, this has to do with how I treat my prospects and my clients. Terri Schiavo is neither, but I feel compelled to write about this.
I have concluded that this is not a conservative vs liberal issue. It isn’t even about the right to die. We can debate all day long about whether or not someone has the right to take his own life. And it’s not about “drastic measures;” she is not on a “vent,” she will not die immediately once the tube is removed.
She will starve to death, slowly, over the next week to 10 days.
As a human being, not a conservative or liberal, I find that unconscionable. It is decidedly NOT worthy.
Here are two blogs, one right-leaning, one left-leaning, that are following this case, and have constructive suggestions for how one can become involved, or at least learn about what’s happening. I urge you to click on (at least) one:
COBRA Primer returns Monday.
Have a great weekend!
blog comments powered by Disqus