Monday, October 28, 2019

The VA has a Cleanliness Problem

The Veterans Administration gets a lot of bad press for inadequate services, most of it deserved, but now there is an issue with cleanliness.

A new report from the Office of Inspector General for the Veterans Health Administration found VA facilities generally met requirements, but cited problems with facility cleanliness and panic alarms.

Between Oct. 16, 2017 and Sept. 14, 2018, the OIG conducted surprise inspections to 51 randomly selected VA health facilities across the country. Issues that were discovered were dirty vents in patient care areas, furniture in patient care areas that were either dirty or broken and dirty floors.

I have spent time in VA facilities with my husband. He has received tremendous care, but I must agree with the report on cleanliness. Recently, sitting in a waiting room while my husband underwent outpatient surgery, a mouse ran across the floor and went into some cabinets. This room was on the interior of the facility and on the third floor. In all my years working in medical facilities, I have never encountered a mouse. Needless to say, it was a bit disturbing to those of us in the waiting room. One family member tried to alert a staff member to the mouse. Her response, “Well, that’s not good,” and then she walked away.

The report found that “environmental cleanliness noncompliance was often due to lack of oversight and staffing challenges.” Based on my experience, I would say the researchers got that right. 

The OIG made 16 recommendations, I hope pest control was one of those recommendations.

blog comments powered by Disqus