Sunday, September 09, 2018

Welcoming 5779

Tonight we welcome in the New Year, hoping and praying that it will be even better than the last.

It's customary to greet each other with this warm wish:


לְשָׁנָה טוֹבָה תִכָּתֵבוּ וְתֵּחָתֵמוּ

"L'shanah tovah tikatev v'taihatem (May you be inscribed and sealed for a good year)."

So, dear readers, may the new year be one of peace, joy and health for each of you and yours.


And for a little humor:

An elderly Jewish man in Miami called his son in New York and says, “I hate to ruin your day, but I have to tell you that your mother and I are divorcing; forty-five years of this misery is enough.”

“Pop, what are you talking about?” the son screamed.

“We can’t stand the sight of each other any longer. We’re sick of each other, and I’m sick of talking about this, so you can call your sister in Chicago and tell her,” and the father hung up.

Frantic, the son called his sister, who exploded on the phone. “Like hell they’re getting divorced,” she shouted, “I’ll take care of this.”

She called her father immediately, and screamed at him, “You are NOT getting divorced. Don’t do a single thing until I get there. I’m calling my brother back, and we’ll both be there tomorrow. Until then, don’t do a thing, DO YOU HEAR ME?” and hung up.

The old man hung up and called to his wife, “Okay, they’re coming for Rosh Hashanah. Now what do we tell them for Pesach?” 
blog comments powered by Disqus