Monday, July 30, 2018

What to make of this?

I've wondered for a while now about how the life insurance industry is going to handle the inevitable case of a transgendered male requesting (lower) female rates.

Or transgendered females asking for (lower) male disability income insurance rates.

(And my apologies if I have the nomenclature backwards)

As I discussed with a life field rep friend a while back, the life company is likely to decline the case altogether because of the increased suicide risk. Assuming, of course, that the situation is disclosed. If not, well, the misstatement of age/sex clause in life policies would come into play, no?

As they say, a can of worms.

Which a Canadian national just opened, bigly:

"Alberta man changes gender on government IDs for cheaper car insurance ... I just basically asked for it and told them that I identify as a woman, or I'd like to identify as a woman, and he wrote me the letter I wanted."

Now, the gentleman doesn't actually identify as a woman (NTTAWWT), he's simply playing the game by the rules the government has laid out. By claiming to so identify, he got his birth certificate and driver's license changed, and was able to save almost $100 a month on his car insurance.

Sweet.

[Hat Tip: FoIB Brian D]
blog comments powered by Disqus