Friday, September 16, 2016

Stupid Prospect Tricks

So for several months, I've been following up on a referral. Susie is a friend-of-a-friend, and came to me for some life insurance quotes. We discussed her needs, did a pre-screen, and I got her some quotes. This was by no means a remarkable case - no huge numbers or unusual underwriting challenges - but the outcome illustrates why we have things like Life Insurance Awareness Month.

After sending her a few monthly follow-up nags reminders, I got this in email this morning:

"Thanks for all your follow ups Henry.  We have decided not to get life insurance for me per our financial advisor."

Because I'm terrible at high pressure tactics, and out of respect for my friend (the referrer), I elected not to send this response:

Hi Susie!

Thanks for your reply. I think it's remarkably generous that your Financial Planner has offered to replace your income, pay off your mortgage, and finance your kids' education when you shuffle off this mortal coil.

You did get his signed promise to do so, right?

After all, he has a fiduciary responsibility (even further enhanced by recent DOL reg's) to you, and advising you to self-insure instead of shifting that risk off to an insurance company, it's only right that he accept responsibility for that advice.

Be well
.
blog comments powered by Disqus