Monday, October 19, 2015

#LIAM2015 Epilogue

So, last week I met with George's widow here at the office, and handed her the $250,000 check that had been faithfully delivered, as promised, by the insurance company. I always take these occasions very seriously; I had been entrusted by the insured to do so.

It's become fashionable in the past few years for companies to mail checks directly to beneficiaries, at the request of the agent.

I find this appalling.

A dear friend says - and I wholeheartedly agree - that delivering the check, in person, is the final step in the promise an agent explicitly makes to his insureds. Now, when the beneficiary lives several states or hundreds of miles away, then I understand the need to use the Post Office, but only after connecting with him or her.

But for any and all local clients (and most of mine are within an hour or so drive), I will relinquish this duty only at the request of the beneficiary himself. I'd like to think that most of us do likewise, but am beginning to fear that this is not the case.

And that's pathetic.
blog comments powered by Disqus