Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Stupid Homeowners Tricks: Again

Sometimes I weep for humananity:

"Firefighters in Tennessee let a home burn to the ground because the owners did not pay a $75 fire subscription fee"

Wait a minute, didn't we already read this last year:

"Each year, Obion County residents must pay $75 if they want fire protection from the city of South Fulton. But the Cranicks did not pay ... Because of that, not much is left of Cranick’s house."

Turns out the homeowner, Vicky Bell, is a slow learner:

"People in the city of South Fulton have fire protection, but those in the surrounding county do not unless they pay a $75 annual fee."

Ms Bell knew this, and knew that the Cranicks had recently provided empirical evidence that the system "works" as advertised. But she had a darned good excuse:

"Bell and her boyfriend said they were aware of the policy, but thought a fire would never happen to them." [emphasis added]

Uh-hunh.

In related news:

"I knew I should have bought health insurance, but thought cancer could never happen to me."

And:

"I knew I should have bought disability or long term care insurance, but thought a stroke could never happen to me."

And, finally:

"I knew I should have bought life insurance, but..."

[Hat Tip: FoIB Bill M]
blog comments powered by Disqus