Waaay back in August of last year, Bob reported on an employee in a popcorn manufacturing facility who had won a large judgment against one of his employer's suppliers. He claimed that the additive which provided that "buttery flavor," diacetyl, had ruined his lungs.
Earlier this fall, a Denver physician warned various federal agencies about the dangers of this product, urging them to investigate possible links between the chemical and increased risk of pulmonary disease.
Which brings us to today's news that "ConAgra has removed a controversial chemical from its microwave popcorn that gives the snack a buttery, creamy taste, citing concern for its workers' health." Although the DOL's "Occupational Safety and Health Administration does not have specific regulations regarding" the chemical, it did issue a special bulletin discussing the potential problem.
As for me, I'm still sticking with Alton Brown's method.