Monday, February 05, 2007

Free Health Care

Hundreds of people still without health insurance in areas hard-hit by Hurricane Katrina lined up before dawn Sunday for the start of a weeklong event offering free medical care.

Bundled up against the chilly wind, people began arriving at 2 a.m. outside the tents and doublewide trailers offering free care in eastern New Orleans. By the time the first 50 had been called into the registration tent, they numbered in the hundreds.


I have as much empathy as anyone for the survivors of Katrina, but I have to wonder how many are really in need of care, and how many are just gaming the system?

Penny Anderson, her daughter, and three small grandchildren came to see a dentist. ``My daughter went online to try to get health insurance for me and my husband,'' she said. ``It was $799 a month! That's a house note!''

What kind of coverage?

My experience with folks looking online is, they want the best plan available but only want to pay $50/month.

I would really love to drive a Maserati but I can't afford the payments. Guess I will have to settle for the old Volvo. Why can't the government buy me a new car?

Or even Janis Joplin?

"Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz"?

The health fair is open to anyone from the greater New Orleans area, but is specifically aimed at those who no longer have insurance, are unemployed or who otherwise cannot pay for regular health care. By the end of the week, 10,000 patients are expected to be seen.

Free health care.

Anyone want to guess how long the lines will be if we have Hillary-Obama care?
blog comments powered by Disqus