Friday, February 04, 2005

This always makes me crazy...

And I know that it shouldn’t, but: why do we (and I guess by “we” I mean health care consumers in general) assume that birth control should be a covered expense? And not just BC pills, but IUD’s, vasectomies, etc? (Warning: I’m about to go off on a rant about individual medical coverage; these issues are dealt with differently in group contracts)

Because it’s “preventive care?” On the same level as cholesterol screenings, mammograms, and PSA tests? I don’t think so.

And this has nothing to do with sexuality or morality, per se. It has to do with risk management, and the underlying premise of insurance. I don’t think that anyone believes that their auto insurance covers oil changes or tune-ups (or should), but aren’t these “preventive” measures? Our homeowners insurance doesn’t pay for the chimneysweep, but wouldn’t that be a preventive measure?

Why do we expect our health insurance to cover so much that is not risk-based? I suppose it could be that we perceive it to be so expensive, and we want to get our money’s worth. Or it could be that we’ve become so conditioned to plans covering so much that it’s tough to adjust to a lower level of coverage (I’m thinking here of folks who come off a group plan and pick up individual coverage).

But I just don’t understand WHY insurance SHOULD cover these things. Don’t we have any sense of personal responsibility? Should medical insurance cover weight loss plans? How about stop-smoking programs? Shouldn’t my insurance pay for me to join a gym club, or Jenny Craig? Where would it end?

I wonder if people consider how much MORE their insurance would cost if it DID cover these items.

Okay…I feel better now.
blog comments powered by Disqus